Alateen is part of the Al-Anon Family Groups and is a fellowship of young Al-Anon members, usually teenagers, whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking.
Teens Come Together To
- Share experience, strength and hope with each other
- Discuss their difficulties
- Learn effective ways to cope with their problems
- Encourage one another
- Help each other understand the principles of the Al-Anon program
- Learn how to use the Twelve Steps and Alateen’s Twelve Traditions
Every Alateen group needs an active, adult member of Al-Anon to serve as sponsor. The sponsor is an active part of the group, guiding and sharing knowledge of our Twelve Steps and Alateen Traditions.
For more information on Alateen Sponsorship click here.
Alateen members meet in church halls, school rooms or other suitable places (many times in the same building as an Al-Anon group, but in a separate room.) For information on Al-Anon/Alateen meetings in Colorado, click here.
Alateen members learn:
- Compulsive drinking is a disease.
- They can detach themselves emotionally from the drinker’s problems while continuing to love the person.
- They are not the cause of anyone else’s drinking or behavior.
- They cannot change or control anyone but themselves.
- They have spiritual and intellectual resources with which to develop their own potentials, no matter what happens at home.
- They can build satisfying and rewarding life experiences for themselves.
Alateen is not a place:
- For teenagers seeking help for drinking or drug problems or a therapy program.
- To complain about parents or anyone else.
- A social hangout.
Members are encouraged to read Al-Anon and Alateen Conference-Approved Literature and materials. Written from members’ personal sharings, these recovery tools can help young people deal with their problems.
Is someone’s drinking bothering you?
Alateen is for you. Alateen is for young people whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking. These twenty questions may help you decide whether Alateen is for you.
For More Information
- Interested in knowing what other Teens are saying? Visit Alateen Corner.